20/20 Vision

20/20 Vision
20/20 Vision

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Every Good Gift

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.



Christmas time is often defined by the giving of gifts. There is a distinct feeling of anticipation and excitement in the air and there is an undeniable stirring inside that when left to evolve on its own burst out. Yes, that’s it. It’s that word called JOY. It is amazing how this one time each year we are focused on doing what ever is necessary to bring every thought into captivity that does not equate with Christmas. Preparations begin early, usually that crazy Friday following Thanksgiving. Planning for perfection is truly an art whether planning for that really special meal for our loved ones or the searching out of that one spectacular gift that will bring a smile to someone special.

I particularly am fond of the verse in James 1:17 -- it draws me away from the hurry, hurry, tick tock, one time a year concept of giving, to the Giver of “every good gift and every perfect gift.” I am drawn to this Giver who is constant and drawn to the way in which He gives – giving not just for one time a year but rather for every moment of everyday throughout the year. Consistent giving!

This journey that I am on, this fitness trail called “My Road,” I find pretty bumpy sometimes -- like one of those cobblestone streets. I start out the day knowing that this day has already been conquered only to find myself lying face down on the ground because I tripped over one of those cobblestones. If I keep lying there face down -- eventually an imprint of that cobblestone will place its mark on me. But, the Giver, who is constantly giving will not let me lay there – instead He says to me “look around, look side to side, look up my child but never look down but hold your head up– I have shed light all around your path and there is help all around. Partake of the everyday gifts I give and you will find the path will get easier.”

Jessica’s Journey is one of the daily gifts given to me on My Road. Jessica offers daily insights, shares her journey and other avenues that enhance my travels.

Then there is Jeff. Jeff is known to me as a Personal Fitness Trainer --I meet with him three times each week. He is my guide in this new world called fitness and it is the work he does that drew my attention to the term Fitness Trainer. I did an etymologic study of the word fitness only to discover some interesting facts. I find words are containers of power; they are the difference between communication and miscommunication, they imprison or they liberate but true understanding only comes through the true meaning of words. The word fitness: it is the quality and or the state of being fit. So, what about this term Fitness Trainer? I found that first of all a fitness trainer must be totally committed to their clients (that’s me). They help clients meet their goals and establish new goals. The fitness trainer provides an all encompassing plan that will lead to the desired finish. Fitness trainers are trained professionals with winning personalities! I can’t imagine the number of personalities that Jeff comes into contact with each day; mine is only one of those he encounters. Yet, he knows how to see through the outward facade and zero’s in on the real issue. That’s when the trainer becomes a coach. We all need coaching sometime. Notice that I didn’t say coaxing, although I’m pretty sure there are others like myself that need that as well. Coaching is different; coaching goes deep – it goes into the issues of the heart and flushes out everything that places limitations on your ability to be all that you were created to be. This is the role of a fitness trainer.

Then there is Bill; my loving husband, my encourager, my helpmeet, my partner and much, much more on this road to fitness. Bill is someone who knows me better than I know myself. He is always there and when I trip on one of those cobblestones – he simply picks me up, embraces me, and ever so gently reminds me that “God’s mercies are renewed daily” and I should most likely hold my head up, smile, and get ready to move on!


Christmas time is defined by the giving of gifts. There is a distinct feeling of anticipation and excitement in the air and there is an undeniable stirring inside that evolves and burst into JOY. And what about that amazing focus that says we will do what ever is necessary to bring every thought into captivity that does not equate with Christmas? What about those preparations beginning early? What about the planning of that special meal for our loved ones or the searching out of that one spectacular gift that will bring a smile to someone special? Christmas is a special.

It‘s special for many reasons but I want to be a reflector this season – a reflector of the Great Giver to the truly important people in my life. I want to see reflection of who they are in my eyes and what He does through them to and for me!

1 comment:

  1. I honored to be included in your list...I am encouraged by what you write just as much! I need that motivation to keep waking up in the morning to lift those weights. It is good to get your point of view on Jeff too :) I can just imagine him looking at me saying..."I know you can lift more". Merry Christmas! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete